10/3/09

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!

Also known as the day when you can eat a bunch of assorted pastries of various exotic flavors called MOONCAKES!
Looks delicious, doesn't it.

So, being the slightly-disconnected-from-my-heritage-one, I didn't even know that today was the Mid-Autumn Festival. But obviously I now do, since I'm writing about it, right? Anyhow, my family and I were invited to one of "those" parties where all the parents gather to drink and talk and laugh and karaoke their hearts out, their mouths molded in a perpetual "O" as if wanting to devour the microphone, which in turn blasts their contrasting high and piercing (women) and booming and low (men) oh-so WORLD-CLASS voices through speakers that are turned just a little too high for my taste (yeah, I know I should have edited that last sentence to be less of a run-on, but some people wanted an update, and at midnight I'm making this as quick as possible). On a related note having perfect pitch is a hard life, really.

The worst part is that I didn't even eat a whole mooncake! Oh, the horror! But the truth of the matter is...



They're not very tasty, in my not-so-humble opinion.
Oh well.

So in lieu of mooncakes, we ate random other oriental foodstuffs such as pork, sticky rice cake, rice, duck, ice cream, rice, and RICE! Nah, I actually didn't eat that much rice. Some other highlights include watching "Scary Movie" (if there's one movie I never want to see again, it's this one), being owned at SSBM, being owned at manhunt, being owned at life-- wait no, that's not right...

Overall, I'd say I had a pretty good time. To sum it all up, here's a brief non-artistic poem from the depths of an insomniac mind, about the gloriously scintillating full moon tonight:


"Untitled"

I rest; I can not sleep
I look; I can not see
anything but
a sky, painted black
clouds, haphazard and grey
but there is also
a luminous sphere
'tis quite blinding, I fear.
Shining light
that it does not own
but nonetheless, bright.
The single ray of radiance
in my world of night.

Please, no comments about my rather melancholy writing style; I'll write something more cheery only when the mood strikes. kkthxbai.

PS: As a side note, I thought I'd mention that starting tomorrow, apparently I'm obliged to update my blog every day of the week. The length of the post is not specified, so no complaining if I write a 2-sentence entry. :D

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh wow...

FIRST!! xD

I didn't have a party last night, but I went to one the night before (on Friday). I came late because I was with the high school marching band for Middle School Band Night, which wasn't too bad. I went to Tiffany's house for our party, where we ate food! Ok, to specify, they ate food before me, I arrived at around 10 o'clock, and THEN I ate food. Oh well.

Also, my dad took pics of the moon, cuz it was pretty big/bright. My dad told me that you could walk in the back yard and see the whole area without lights because the moon is so bright, but my dad installed this motion detecting light that shines everytime it... detects motion. So, there was no way you could see if his statement was true -sigh - oh well! There's always next year...

My word verication: factace

Unknown said...

That was pretty awesome. I hope you had fun at your oh-so-awesome-asian-party-kazam! Personally, we didn't do anything for the moon festival. Which is a shame. Er, anywho.

Thanks for following my extremely unofficial holiday - A DAY EARLY!!!